Inspirational Poems

I have just three things to teach:
simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and in thoughts,
you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.
Stephen Mitchell's translation of Lao Tzu's Tao te Ching


Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; for it becomes your destiny.

- Upanishads



Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.
Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
but hope for the patience to win my freedom.
- Rabindranath Tagore, Indian Poet/Saint


Then it was as if I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts,
the depths where neither sin nor desire can reach,
the person that each one is in God's eyes.
If only they could see themselves as they really are.
If only we could see each other that way,
there would be no reason for war, for hatred, for cruelty ...
I suppose the big problem would be that
we would fall down and worship each other.

- Thomas Merton




By the power and truth of this practice:
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness
May all beings be free from sorrow and the causes of sorrow
May all never be separated from the sacred happiness which is sorrow less
And may all live in equanimity with out too much attachment and too much aversion
And live believing in the equality of all that lives.

A Buddhist Prayer-The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

Breathing in, I know I’m breathing in.
Breathing out, I know
As the in-breath grows deep,
The out-breath grows slow.
Breathing in makes me calm.
Breathing out makes me ease.
With the in-breath, I smile.
With the out-breath, I release.
Breathing in, there is only the present moment.
Breathing out, it is a wonderful moment.

-Thich Nhat Hanh



Lord, make me an instrument of your Peace,
Where there
is hatred let me Love,
Where there is injury, pardon,
Where there is doubt,
faith
,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
And where there is sadness, joy.

Oh divine master,
Grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

As long as there is breath in the body, there is life.
When breath departs, so too does life.
Therefore, regulate the breath.

 Hatha
Yoga Pradipika


May all beings give and receive compassion,
Live free from fear,
And dwell in peace.