Carolina Power Yoga's 200 Hour Teacher Training

CPY's 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Trainees have blossomed into certified yoga teachers. Here is Michele's experience.

I had wanted to participate in a Yoga Teacher Training for years, but working 7 days per week this was not possible. When I retired and moved to NC I started taking yoga classes at Carolina Power Yoga and the stars must have been aligned because an intense YTT immersion was offered in January of 2013 four months after I retired.

The first few days were exhausting. I left home at 8:30 am and didn't get home until 8:00 pm, then I had journaling and reading to do. On many days we took four yoga classes, I had never even taken 4 in a week before! I was physically exhausted and achy yet exhilarated. I felt strong, alive, powerful, and in touch with my feelings. After the first few days I seemed to have an abundance of energy and getting through the day become so much easier that I thought the teachers had changed all the classes to gentle yoga (they hadn't, I was just that much stronger.)


In the morning we meditated before starting the day. Although I had meditated before I had never followed a regular practice. Regular meditation made me feel mentally and physically strong, I also developed a tremendous sense of joy, peace, contentment, and equanimity. I seemed to need less sleep despite the extensive physical energy I expended each day and I felt great. I became more introspective and gained a spiritual awareness. In addition to the mediation and regular asana practice, we studied Sanskrit, anatomy, philosophy and history of yoga. The history and yoga believe system were fascinating. We read several books and discussed them. We were exposed to movies of various yogis, different styles and philosophies of yoga. I was fascinated and hooked. I started eating healthier and as I became stronger, more physically fit, more aware, more present, more grounded and more spiritual all of these characteristics grew exponentially.


The program was well structured, creative, and all inclusive. It was physically and intellectually challenging and always stimulating and diverse. Some days we did our four poses of the day outside in a gazebo at the park. A beautiful tranquil environment. One day we went to an animal shelter to “give back to the community and practice an act of kindness which is the yogi way. Most of our time was spent in the lovely studio that Tara Gurry created. Sometimes we went outside for a lecture or a discussion, taking advantage of the beautiful Carolina weather. My journey was incredible and my transformation remarkable.

Tara Gurry the studio owner was our primary guide. She is talented, caring, joyous yogini, who possesses an abundance of energy and creativity which she brings to all that she does. Her Power Yoga made us stronger. Her program challenged us yet allowed us to grow. Joanne Ducey recently joined CPY as a primary teacher. Jo introduced us to Forrest Yoga, a deeper more intense style of yoga. This helped further sculpt our bodies and brought a greater spirituality to our practice. Jo also introduced us to Ayurveda and several other topics with inspiring lectures. Page was just starting her journey as a teacher and it was great to see her blossom as time progressed. It gave our group insight into some of the challenges we might face as first time teachers.

My fellow trainees became my best friends. Our joyful journey was our bond. Our connection was unbelievable and the positive energy we emitted when we were together was in fact noticed by a new student who came to CPY and remarked on it. We supported each other and cheered each other on both on and off the mat.

I truly believe that this experience change me forever in an extremely positive manner, I learned so much, deepened my yoga practice, and learned that my breath is my best friend and can not only take me deeper into my asana practice, but also helps me in life in many unexpected ways. I am practicing the Four Agreements and the yogi lifestyle. I feel a greater sense of gratitude for life all my life's blessings, including for Carolina Power Yoga who offered me this amazing opportunity.



Thank you and Namaste

Sincerely,
Michele Dorland YTT200