Yogi G Words of Wisdom: Awakening to Spring Yoga - Discovering the Energy of the Season




This week I celebrate my third anniversary as a practitioner of Yoga.  One beautiful Sunday afternoon in the Spring Season of 2011, I attended my first Yoga class at the Jamerson YMCA in Lynchburg, VA.  I will never forget the experience and how I was immediately awakened to a new path of personal growth.  While I had been a member of health clubs since 1993, always focused on cardio and aerobic exercise, I could not find time for Yoga.  My first Yoga teacher had been encouraging me for two years to try “it” and when I did there was an immediate connection.  Beginning that day I started down a path of weekly Yoga practices, 200 hr RYT training and teaching, self inquiry and meditation.  But more importantly through the Yoga path, I have found a deeper love for myself, others and for living.  I found a deeply rooted peace and happiness that had eluded me.  

So this blog entry is a celebration of my Yoga path, and lessons learned along the way. So much can be said of the depth of the Yoga experience.  It is far more than physical exercise.  My daily Yoga practice provides a place of stillness and peace.  The Yoga path leads to an internal awakening and experience of the richness and beauty of life.  The greatest lesson I have learned is to live fully in the present moment, accepting the NOW, with gratitude, peace and joy. Life will bring us challenges, transitions and great difficulties but through Divine Grace we can overcome. Learn to let go of the past while fully experiencing the present, accepting “what is”.  The key to healing is to learn to confront our fears, feel the pain, and let it go. We cannot dwell in the past and heal, but must live fully in the present moment. All of life’s experiences and lessons learned have prepared us for the present. Where we are tomorrow depends upon what we do today. So live for today and enjoy.  If you have not found time to make Yoga a daily part of your life, do so today.  Enjoy the energy that comes through the practice.  It is like experiencing a beautiful Spring day. Namaste, Yogi G