Imagination

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”
--Robert Fulghum

Often, I have memories as a child, playing in the grass, the sweet smell of honeysuckles tickling my nose, no shame for rustling in the dirt, time simply nonexistent. A past when my mother would tell me to “go outside and play,” and there would never be enough hours in the day to enjoy this. Every evening was a chance to become a new character embarking on a new journey: a magical firefly land with talking willows, animals for my best friends, air so sweet you could eat it.
With every year that passes by, it is as if our imagination dissipates. Domestication seems to cloud our power to imagine as we make that shift in the world society wants us to believe in. We are forced through school systems that are required to teach us certain topics. Our recess gets shortened and our opportunities to express ourselves get limited. Our creative energy slips through our fingers as we take hold of the goals that others put in place for us. Placed in a mold, we lose sight of the power that is to envision.
When I came to my yoga mat, I was seeking a refuge from that American Dream, overloaded with stress and addicted to working and acquiring material objects. My creativity had long been pushed away or filtered through the requirements of a certain project. It
seemed like so long ago that I could just play with my imagination without any sort of direction. Yoga gave me an opportunity to do just that. With meditation, I could visualize myself in various settings to seek clarity and in my practice I played with shapes and discovered myself on a different journey each time. It offered light on things I had pushed into the dark as well as altering my perspective on life. It inspired me so much that I began to imagine myself guiding others through a yoga practice and, as your thoughts create your reality, I sit here today as a yoga teacher.

Seek your freedom and unleash your imagination. Approach this with the innocence of a child, free from judgment, negative misconceptions or doubts. Try to go outside and play! What would you do? Where would you let your mind take you? Write a story, meditate, cook, practice yoga, paint, sing, dance, the options go as far as you will allow so stretch the boundaries and IMAGINE!