Grounding down your feet, on and off the Mat.



I’ve been thinking about the relationship between yoga, and how we handle everyday situations.

The fundamentals of yoga are similar to those in our everyday lives. You want to stretch yourself out, and push yourself. Trying new things both in Yoga, and in life is important. Learning to concentrate on your goals, responsibilities, and your current pose.

Everything in life relates back to balance. While I was home this week, I talked to my dad about the importance of balancing. Balancing what you want, and what you need, or your loves and your obligations. Over the past few years, I’ve learned to balance personal relationships, different jobs, my interests, the people I love, and their interests, even my finances (still working on this one), because I know all these aspects make a strong and healthy life.

Yoga is balance, and not only in the obvious way of actually balancing during poses, but also in the balance of meditation with movement. Yesterday, I was trying to perfect my half moon, but I couldn’t get stable. I kept falling because my mind was out of balance. I wasn’t grounding down my foot, or zoning in on my practice. I’ve been practicing my postures once a day, but I realized when I’m not in our studio, I neglect the down time of yoga, the moments to relax with your breath. When you try too hard to focus, your mind never stops racing. Concentration comes from a sense of calm, relaxation. Without true comfort, it’s much harder to quiet your mind.

Vinyasa at CPY has taught me to flawlessly flow from one pose to the next. I am in control of my body and my thoughts. The combination of balance, strength, concentration, and meditation, is what I love about CPY. There are poses that feel unbelievably relaxing, and there are poses you can hardly hold for another breathe, but the balance of the two, makes our practice rewarding.

Now, I’ve been trying to apply the ease and graceful balance of yoga in my everyday situations.

So far, so good. =)